- Features 2 modern English dictionaries, multilingual search and
translation. Also features a crossword solver and Word of the Week
Alternative Dictionaries - slang, etc.
- Online publication of The American Heritage Dictionary, Fourth Edition.
Featuring 70,000 audio word pronunciations, 900 full-page illustrations
and over 10,000 new words and senses.
Webster's Unabridged Dictionary of 1913 - Forms version. Allows
International Dictionaries - Free online dictionary from Cambridge
- Cynic's Dictionary
- Irreverent and amusing definitions from the recently published Cynic's
Dictionary. Samples may be reloaded for variety.
- dictionary building
software for reporters - Dictionary Jumpstart is a software program
for realtime reporters and captioners that lists many diverse vocabulary
of Difficult Words - Search or browse this dictionary of more
than 13,000 words.
Plus - A Dictionary-Thesaurus and More - Enter a word and find
everything you would expect from a standard dictionary plus similar
words, synonyms, and much more.
- Dictionary.com - Free online
dictionary, thesaurus, translator, word of the day, crossword puzzles
and word games, and vocabulary learning resources for many languages.
- an online version of the CD-ROM dictionary written to reflect the
language of the 21st century. It also features audio clips of words
- The English-to-American
Dictionary - A humo(u)rous resource for Americans learning Scottish
- The dictionaries list from their site.
Please Dictionary - Infoplease's free online dictionary. The site
also features almanacs, an encyclopedia, and an atlas.
- Merriam-Webster OnLine -
A free, searchable on-line dictionary and thesaurus, word games, a
word of the day, and many other English language and vocabulary reference
tools and resources.
- OneLook Dictionaries
- The best place to look up a word or term in an Internet dictionary
or glossary. Free search access to a frequently updated database of
words, terms, names, acronyms vs Internet links to on-line dictionaries
- The Newbury House Online Dictionary
- Search over 40,000 entries to get clear concise definitions and
when available related pictures
- Research-It - Includes
several dictionaries and a thesaurus. Some of the other tools found
here are a shipping and mailing tool, currency exchange tool, and
the language translating tool.
- Strange Dictionaries
- Free on-line versions of the Dictionary of One-Letter Words, the
Dictionary of All-Vowel Words, the Dictionary of All-Consonant Words,
and other strange dictionary resources.
- The Ubis Dictionary of Change
- A small collection of words with definitions intended to convey
values-based as well as factual meaning. Some definitions are accompanied
by quotations or short essays.
- Word Central - Student
dictionary and rhyming dictionary online at Merriam-Webster's website.
Daily Buzzword by subscription.
- Worthless Word for the Day
- Obscure, abstruse and/or recondite word, especially one not falling
into medical terms, foreign monetary units, foreign units of measure,
legal terms, or professional jargon of any type
Project: ROGET'S Thesaurus Search Form - Uses the Gutenberg Project
- Bartleby.com: Reference
- Includes "Roget's International Thesaurus of English Words and
Phrases" and Houghton-Mifflin's "Roget's II: The New Thesaurus,"
- Freeality Internet Search
Thesaurus - Search for words, phrases, and quotations. Links to
language tools, reference and research and reverse lookup.
- Lexical Freenet -
Allows you to search for relationships between words and concepts that
might never have occurred to you before.
- Phrase Finder
- Enter a single word and it will return a list of phrases and sayings
that are related to the word in some way. In English.
- Plumb Design Visual
Thesaurus - An exploration of sense relationships within the English
language. By clicking on words, you follow a thread of meaning, creating
a spatial map of linguistic associations.
- Roget's International Thesaurus
of English Words and Phrases - Online publication of this popular
thesaurus made available by Bartleby.com.
- Roget's Thesaurus - Roget's
Thesaurus of English words and phrases.
Thesaurus - As distributed by Project Gutenberg - Etext of Roget's
Thesaurus No. Two, which is derived from the version of Roget's Thesaurus
published in 1911.
- Sybrina's Phrase Thesaurus
- WordNet - a Lexical
Database for English - An on-line lexical reference system whose
design is inspired by current psycholinguistic theories of human lexical
memory. English nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs are organized into
synonym sets, each representing one underlying lexical concept. Different
relations link the synonym sets. From the Cognitive Science Laboratory,
- Wordsmyth Educational Dictionary-Thesaurus
- Integrated english dictionary and thesaurus.
- WWWebster Thesaurus
- Merriam-Webster Thesaurus